Skip to content
Home » Blog » Peanut Butter: Good Or Bad

Peanut Butter: Good Or Bad

peanut butter in clear glass jar

Peanut butter is the favourite breakfast choice of most people nowadays. 

But you know it was developed in Canada in 1880 and became America’s staple food from 1940. Americans consume around 700 million pounds of peanut butter every year. And in India, most of it is consumed in Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai and Chennai. 

What is peanut butter?

It comprises 90% peanuts and the remaining 10% vegetable oil, salt, dextrose and corn syrup. 

Dry peanut roasts and then ground them in the creamy form to get delicious peanut butter.

Nutritional value 

it is a good source of Vitamin E, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Manganese, Vitamin B6 and Magnesium.

2 tablespoons of peanut butter give you

Calories – 207

Protein – 9 gram

Fat – 18 gram

Carbohydrates – 6 gram

Fibre – 3 gram

Sugar -1 gram

Benefits of Peanut butter to the health

  • Beneficial for the heart – It contains good fat. 

Oleic acid helps to maintain cholesterol levels, blood sugar and blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart diseases.

Arginine amino acid promotes blood vessel function and prevents the risk of heart diseases. 

Omega 6 fatty acid lowers the Bad cholesterol (LDL) and improves good cholesterol (HDL) level.

  • Anticancer properties – Peanuts are a great source of antioxidants. They may reduce the risk of cancer. They prevent cell damage.

Resveratrol has anti-cancer properties, as well as the risk of obesity and heart diseases.

And it has the most potent antioxidant – Coumaric acid.

  • Reduces the risk of Diabetes – Oleic acid in peanuts reduces the body’s insulin resistance and lowers the risk of Diabetes.
  • Helps in weight management – Peanut butter is most recommended in weight management programmes. 

As it contains healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. It keeps your tummy fuller for a longer time and keeps you away from overeating.

Possible health risk

  • Peanut allergy – Some people may be allergic to peanuts. It may be life-threatening to them.
  • Mineral deficiencies – Peanuts are high in Phosphorus and can limit your body’s absorption of other minerals. 
  • High in calories and fat – Peanuts also contain some saturated fats, and over-consumption leads to health issues.

Points to remember

  • It contains various nutrients but is also rich in calories.
  • Therefore, consume it in moderation to avoid unwanted health problems and weight gain.
  • Commercial peanut butter mainly has added sugar and fats. Look for natural ingredients instead.

1 thought on “Peanut Butter: Good Or Bad”

  1. Pingback: What To Eat As A Healthy Diet? - MANSI'S WORD

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »