Over 2 billion children and adults suffer from health-related problems due to obesity. And almost 40% of deaths occur due to obesity.
India is the 2nd highest country in obesity, with 14.4 million obese people.
What are the reasons behind obesity?
- Lack of knowledge – This is one of the major causes, of obesity.
Most people are not aware of proper nutrition, exercise and their importance.
- Junk food – Western culture is growing in India rapidly. And of course, the demand for pizza and burgers has increased day by day.
Excessive consumption of refined flour and fatty food like cheese and butter contribute more to weight gain.
- Less physical activity – Weight gain doesn’t happen overnight.
You start increasing inch by inch, as you start reducing your physical activities.
Technology has contributed more to it. So long sitting in front of the laptop, television and other gadgets make you inactive.
One of the crucial reasons behind weight gain is food delivery applications. As soon as you start craving for food, you just order it from the application.
- Genetics – Sometimes obesity runs in the family. It may be genetic.
But along with these outside parameters like eating junk food, laziness can bring addiction into it.
When obesity runs in the family besides genetics, what food you cook in your home and what eating habits they are cultivating is the main factor.
- Medical conditions – Some medical conditions like thyroid and polycystic ovaries can cause weight gain.
Diseases like Rheumatoid arthritis reduce your mobility and may contribute to being overweight.
Some medicines like corticosteroids and antidepressants can cause weight gain.
- Emotional factors – People tend to eat more when happy and sad. Craving sugar during PMS also contributes to weight gain.
Inadequate sleep also causes weight gain as hormones secreted during sleep help control appetite.
- Environment – Normal human tendency is whatever is nearby to you; you do that, right?
You will surely go if gyms are near your residence, but you start avoiding them when it’s far away from you.
People around you are health conscious. You start adapting their habits, and if they are not on a healthy track, you will also begin to walk along with them.
How to overcome obesity
- Diet – Include fruits and green leafy vegetables in your daily diet.
Avoid junk food, bakery products, and sugary and carbonated drinks.
Don’t overeat. Drink enough water and stay hydrated.
- Exercise – Exercise is an essential part of being healthy and reducing weight.
Gyming and swimming are the best exercises. But any kind of physical activity helps you to be healthy. Daily brisk walking for at least 30 minutes can also show magic.
- Healthy habits – Try to incorporate healthy habits.
Avoid smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol. Avoid eating late at night. Try to avoid hurry – worry – curry, that is eating fast, frequent stress and spicy food.
Take 6-8 hours of sleep daily.
- Avoid stress – As some people have a tendency to eat more while in stress. So, try to control your emotions.
Do meditation to control your stress level.
- Expert opinion – Consult dietitian for proper guidance regarding diet.
If you are on any medication or suffering from any medical condition, which are contributing to weight gain, do consult your physician.
- Obesity can lead to different medical conditions.
- Eat healthy. Avoid junk food.
- Exercise is must to reduce weight as well as to stay away from different diseases.
- Keeping fast for a long time or not eating anything is not a way to reduce your weight. It can only lead to weakness in the body.
- Don’t get trapped into a fad and expensive diet regime.
- Consult a dietitian or physician for proper guidance.