50% of Indian women are detected with low hemoglobin every year. Women are more prone to it than men.
What is hemoglobin?
It is a protein inside the blood which carries oxygen from the lungs to other organs and tissue and carries carbon dioxide back to the lungs.
The average hemoglobin level is 14-17 mg/dl in males and 12-15 mg/dl in females.
A condition of low hemoglobin is also known as anaemia.
What are the causes of anaemia?
- Due to blood loss during pregnancy and menstrual cycle, women are at higher risk.
- People with chronic renal disease.
- People who are on blood thinner medicine like aspirin or heparin.
- Due to nutrition deficiencies, old age people can be prone to this.
- Piles or internal bleeding also contribute to anaemia.
What are the symptoms of low hemoglobin?
- Fatigue or tiredness is the main symptom.
- Skin becomes pale.
- Breathing difficulty while walking or some time at resting too
- You may feel cold frequently
- Frequent headache
- Your behaviour may be irritating; you may get angry at small things
- You may find difficulty in recollecting things.
How can you improve your hemoglobin level?
- Iron-rich food – Iron helps to increase hemoglobin.
Green leafy vegetables contain more iron. Spinach, dates, jaggery, pomegranates, almonds, raisins, eggs, meat and fish are packed with iron.
Cook green leafy vegetables in iron utensils, which enhance iron properties in food.
- Folic acid – Folic acid helps in the formation of red blood cells.
Beetroot is a rich source of Folic acid. Include peanuts, bananas, broccoli and chicken liver in your daily intake.
- Iron blockers – Some foodstuff restricts iron absorption in the body.
They are coffee, tea, beer, wine and carbohydrates drinks.
- Dark chocolates – Who doesn’t like chocolates?
But instead of milk chocolate, prefer dark chocolates as dark chocolate contains 80% cacao, which helps increase hemoglobin.
Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants and minerals.
- Exercise – Exercise helps to produce more hemoglobin.
When you do extensive exercise, your body’s oxygen demands increase and fulfilling that body produces more hemoglobin.
- It is essential to carry out your daily routine effectively.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Include food rich in iron and folic acid in your daily diet.
- Don’t forget to exercise daily.
Pingback: 10 Best Food To Reduce High Blood Pressure - MANSI'S WORD