A vegan diet is trending nowadays. Every 10th person is switching on a vegan diet.
What is the difference between a vegetarian diet and a Vegan diet?
So, a vegan diet excludes all animal products including dairy products, however, vegetarians include dairy products.
Benefits of Vegan diet –
- Helps in weight loss, if taken properly.
- Reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- Helps to control diabetes.
- Lowers the chances of colon cancer.
Things to know before switching on a vegan diet –
- Protein – Eggs and dairy products are good sources of proteins.
But when you are on a vegan diet, you can eat soybean as the main source of protein, along with veggies and fruits.
- Vitamin B12 – lack of vitamin B12 will make you feel lethargic.
You can fulfill your requirement of it, including cereals and soy milk in your diet.
If necessary you can take supplements only after consulting with your physician.
- Omega 3 fatty acid – Seafood is the richest source of essential fatty acid.
As on a vegan diet, you can use whole grain and leafy vegetables, as well as a handful of unsalted nuts to fulfill the fatty acid requirements.
- Iron – For iron requirements, you can take green leafy vegetables, dry fruits, and fruits.
Most of the protein and vitamins are indeed animal-based, though if you want to want to go on vegan, you can find out plant-based essential vitamins too.
Here is the list of food –
- Calcium – Soy milk, tofu, green leafy vegetables, broccoli, dry fruits, sesame seeds.
- Iron – Peanut butter, spinach, and tofu
- Protein – Lentils, bean, quinoa, oats
- Vitamin B 12 – Soy Milk, orange juice, and cereals
Starting a new thing is interesting, but hard to sustain. Keep motivating yourself and keep the motive of switching to a vegan diet in your mind always.
Here are the few tips for ease to start your vegan journey –
- Talk with your family members, if they are with your journey or not? Or else you have to buy groceries and prepare different kinds of food altogether.
- Prepare a chart for your diet. Keep a record of the food which you consume daily.
- Drink 2-3 liter of water.
- Consult your doctor if you feel any unusual changes.
Try these methods, share them with your friends and family. And let me know if you need more information.